Teenager arrested after death of elderly woman in house fire
- Credit: Victoria Pertusa
A teenager has been arrested after the death of an elderly woman in a house fire in Norwich.
Police were called at 7am to help Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service following reports of a fire at an address in Unthank Road.
Investigations are ongoing and the woman's death is currently being treated as unexplained.
A police spokesman said: "While the cause of the fire is yet to be established, officers have arrested a man in his late teens in connection with the incident. He was taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre and will be questioned in due course.
"Following initial enquiries officers do believe that the man arrested and the victim are known to one another."
A cordon remains in place around the property while enquiries continue. Unthank Road was temporarily closed, but has since been reopened.
- 1 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 2 'People are fed up with roasts': Chef ditches Sunday dinner takeaways
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 6 Covid team to knock on Norwich doors to get people to self-isolate
- 7 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 8 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 9 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 10 Sex offender used secret Twitter account to post indecent material