'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- Credit: Victoria Pertusa
The landlady of The Black Horse in Norwich has opened a second pub in Earlham Road, which has a completely different look and feel.
Rose Hanison, 36, has finally opened The Earlham, after first taking on the lease for the independently-owned pub in March 2020.
Eye-catching artwork, interesting objects and neon lights adorn the walls and shelves inside and it also boasts a large garden.
Miss Hanison said: "As much as I would never wish on anyone to have their business closed for a long period of time, it did give me time to really plan and design this pub exactly how I wanted it and I am so proud of how it looks."
On offer are a range of beers, including some not available anywhere else in the city, wines, spirits, soft drinks and cocktails, with the syrups made on-site.
The kitchen has been rented out by Norwich-based Oishii Street Kitchen, a collaboration between Moco Kitchen and Hen House Kitchen, serving Asian-inspired burgers, popcorn chicken and wings, rice boxes and a range of sides.
Inclusivity was also an important factor in the designing of the pub and it has gender neutral toilets.
Miss Hanison, who is supported by operations manager Dave Taylor at both venues, has also made sure her two pubs are not competing with each other.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 3 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 4 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 5 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 6 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 7 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 10 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
She said: "The pubs had to have starkly different offerings, The Black Horse is an established gastropub and really popular for food and for families, so I wanted to take this down a more modern route.
"The reaction so far has been really positive and people love it."
Miss Hanison has also restored the pubs former name as it was called The Earlham Arms from 2011 to 2019 before becoming Mr Pickwick's.
Its other names since its launch in 1974 were The Schoolhouse, The Fountain, Hoofers and The Pickwick.
The Earlham is open Wednesday to Friday 3pm to 11pm, Saturday 12pm to 11pm and Sunday 12pm to 8pm.
Oishii Street Kitchen serves on Thursday and Friday from 5pm to 9pm, Saturday 12pm to 9pm and Sunday 12pm to 5pm.