New business offers loaded roast potatoes delivered to your door
- Credit: Contributed
A Norfolk chef has taken one of the nation's favourite foods to the next level in his new business, offering crispy roast potatoes with a range of toppings.
Lee Vann, 35, from Norwich, launched Rad Roasties in January and it has been popping up on Saturdays at different towns and villages near Norwich.
Each week he posts on social media where he will be and takes pre-orders for local delivery with timed slots. So far it has sold out every time.
He uses local and seasonal ingredients where possible, including potatoes from Chipeez in Horsford and Nortons milk and cream.
All the roast potatoes are cooked in garlic and rosemary and the options include the Classic, with rich red wine gravy, New York, with hot dog, cheese sauce, mustard, mayonnaise, cornichons and crispy onions, and Spanish, with chorizo, aioli, serrano ham, cheese and parsley.
He also does a vegan option using slow cooked Bolognese, a smaller children's portion and a trifle for dessert.
Mr Vann is a trained chef, currently teaches hospitality and catering at a secondary school and is also a musician.
- 1 Single mum resorts to sleeping in her car due to 'unlivable' flat
- 2 Michael McIntyre and Robert Rinder spotted at Carrow Road
- 3 Team behind Golden Triangle pub take on Edith Cavell in Norwich
- 4 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
- 5 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 6 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 7 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 8 Bread Source confirms location of new store
- 9 Eleventh McDonald's drive-thru could be set for Norwich
- 10 'I thought it was a prank' - Steak house nominated for UK's best restaurant
He said: "My weekends are normally filled with performing at weddings as a multi-instrumentalist and singer, however since the Covid-19 pandemic I have had a bit of a creative void.
"Just before Christmas I had a bit of an idea to create roast potatoes with a range of tasty toppings using Norfolk produce where possible.
"I tried a few trial dishes and was pleased with the result and I then set up an Instagram page and posted some photos and I was overwhelmed with comments asking when these would be available."
Mr Vann, who is doing the deliveries with wife Lucie, had planned to do a pop-up in a local bar, but when the lockdown was announced he decided to set up in his kitchen after working with environmental health.
Speaking about the secret to the perfect roast potatoes, Mr Vann said: "Roasties are a labour of love. There is no fast way of producing them and the best ones have been looked after with care and attention from farm to fork.
"People have been so complimentary so far and I’ve really been taken aback."
For more food and drink news, as well as reviews and recipes, you can sign up to our newsletter here.