First show at Norwich Theatre Royal this summer is revealed
- Credit: Johan Persson
Theatre lovers will be able to watch live dance performances once more this summer in a tour which kicks off in Norwich.
On Before, starring Cuban dancer Carlos Acosta, will be shown at Norwich Theatre Royal on July 16 and 17 before going on tour across England to The Lowry in Salford, Mayflower Theatre in Southampton and The Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury.
It is the first touring production from Norwich Theatre Royal, which worked with Valid Productions on the project.
The On Before tour has been funded by the government's Culture Recovery Fund which awarded millions of pounds to arts organisations around the country during the coronavirus lockdown to offer support to the arts.
Stephen Crocker, chief executive and creative director of Norwich Theatre Royal, said: "I am so excited about this next collaboration with Carlos and seeing the very best dance back on stages again for audiences across the UK this summer. It is always joyous and inspirational to work with Carlos but this project feels very special not only because of the show itself, but the spirit of bravery, determination and commitment to dance that has brought us together with Carlos again and which unites all of the venues involved.
"For Norwich Theatre Royal, this first ever touring production also marks the beginning of a new and exciting future."
The dancer came up with the performance on 2010 and it is an homage to his late mother.
Audiences will be able to see him perform as a soloist as well as alongside Laura Rodriguez who is a founding member of his Cuban dance company, Acosta Danza.
- 1 Riverside pub undergoes £80k refurb in time for summer
- 2 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 3 Drivers bemused as underwear strewn across pedestrian crossing
- 4 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 5 11 reasons why Norwich is the best city
- 6 Watch: A handful of protesters gather as City thumped on last day of season
- 7 Why NR3 is being dubbed the 'new Shoreditch'
- 8 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 9 Major changes coming to the sale of domestic fuels
- 10 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
He said: “On Before is one of the most special shows I have ever created or danced and holds a place in my heart like no other.
"I have received incredible support from audiences and venues around the UK over many years and I know how difficult the past year has been for them and our whole sector.
"I am thrilled to be sharing this show that is personally so important to me.”
Tickets for the Norwich shows go on sale on April 30 and to book visit www.norwichtheatre.org or call the box office on 01603 630000