Norwich lights switch-on replaced with 'Countdown to Christmas'
Norwich will not have a Christmas lights switch-on for the second year running after it was replaced by a series of events called 'Countdown to Christmas' for 2021.
City shoppers will now be able to enjoy a variety of entertainment every Sunday in the run up to the big day, from choirs and dance groups to a visit from Santa, in place of the usual switch-on event.
For various reasons, including uncertainty over the pandemic, the events will also replace the Spooky City and Big Boom events held by Norwich City Council.
Alan Waters, leader of Norwich City Council, said: “It is wonderful to see the city really coming to life again after such a challenging eighteen months.
“I am delighted at the prospect of this series of festive performances, which will offer a charming alternative to our usual events programme.”
You may also want to watch:
City centre illuminations, including Norwich BID’s Tunnel of Light, will appear from Tuesday, November 16.
The schedule for the Countdown to Christmas will be revealed in November, and will be published www.norwich.gov.uk/events.
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours