Après Ski Village with private chalets opens in Norwich for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Escape from the hustle and bustle of Norwich city centre and head to the Après Ski Village over the festive period, offering chalets for hire and delicious food and drink.
Après ski describes the social activities that take place after a day at the slopes, but you can skip straight to it this Christmas at an alpine-themed attraction in Castle Gardens.
It is open seven days a week from 11am to 9pm until Christmas Eve and boasts private chalets, which can be booked in one or two hour slots, and they are heated and decorated.
Groups of up to six can meet there, including mixed households under Tier 2 restrictions as the chalets are open, and there is table service.
The bar offers a large selection of drinks, including mulled wine and spiced cider, with the option of an added shot, and local beers.
The event is also suitable for families, with hot chocolates and soft drinks on offer and children's rides.
Food includes German bratwurst, burgers, Yorkshire pudding wraps and tartiflette, a potato dish with reblochon cheese, bacon and onions.
- 1 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 2 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 3 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 4 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 5 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 6 Sweepers clean up in city after busy Saturday night - and punters behave
- 7 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 8 Public invited to have say on plans to convert derelict pub
- 9 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 10 Why The Sunday Times named Norwich one of the best places to live in 2021
Those sitting in the chalets ordering alcohol will need to order food under the substantial meal rule, but people can also visit the village and takeaway.
The organisers of the attraction also ran a popular Christmas market outside The Forum in Norwich in 2018 and 2019, but as this couldn't go ahead this year they had to think outside of the box.
Eddie McGee, part of the Après Ski Village team, said: "Shaun James [one of the organisers] managed to find this venue at Castle Gardens, which is beautiful in the shadow of the castle, and he came up with the idea of an Après Ski Village.
"I have a wine company that imports very nice wine from France, so am planning to do wine tasting evenings in the next couple of weeks and there is also a wine store.
"The village has a Christmas atmosphere and hopefully after a horrendous year for everyone it will bring a bit of joy."
Chalets cost £10 to hire, redeemable against food and drink, and you can book by messaging the 'Après Ski Village Norwich' Facebook page.