Youngsters do Wymondham proud at home of Leicester Tigers
Wymondham Under-10 head coach Paul Wootton believes his side's Prima Tiger Cup semi-final at Welford Road was an occasion his players will remember for the rest of their lives.
The young stars were edged out in a thrilling last four contest at the home of English champions Leicester Tigers last week.
Wymondham, who were making their third appearance in the knockout stages of the competition in as many seasons, struck in the opening minute – but eventually lost out in a pulsating contest 4-3.
The game was a fitting curtain-raiser to the Tigers' Heineken Cup clash with Benetton Treviso, which the two-time European champions won 62-15 to book a place in the quarter-finals.
'We are disappointed not to reach the final,' said Wootton. 'We came up against a very good side and all credit to Oakham.
You may also want to watch:
'The atmosphere which was generated by the spectators added to the overall experience.
'It was great for the players to be running out on to the pitch. I am sure they will look back on the day as one they will remember for the rest of their lives.'
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
Now in its 17th season, the Prima Tiger Cup is a contact tournament open to all under-10 teams from across the country. More than 50 teams were involved in this season's competition.
The final between Oakham and Old Coventrians, who beat Sutton Coldfield in the other semi-final, will be played at Welford Road before the Tigers' Aviva Premiership game with Saracens on March 5.