Youngsters do Wymondham proud at home of Leicester Tigers
Wymondham Under-10 head coach Paul Wootton believes his side's Prima Tiger Cup semi-final at Welford Road was an occasion his players will remember for the rest of their lives.
The young stars were edged out in a thrilling last four contest at the home of English champions Leicester Tigers last week.
Wymondham, who were making their third appearance in the knockout stages of the competition in as many seasons, struck in the opening minute – but eventually lost out in a pulsating contest 4-3.
The game was a fitting curtain-raiser to the Tigers' Heineken Cup clash with Benetton Treviso, which the two-time European champions won 62-15 to book a place in the quarter-finals.
'We are disappointed not to reach the final,' said Wootton. 'We came up against a very good side and all credit to Oakham.
'The atmosphere which was generated by the spectators added to the overall experience.
'It was great for the players to be running out on to the pitch. I am sure they will look back on the day as one they will remember for the rest of their lives.'
- 1 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 4 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 5 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 6 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 7 Cabbies could protest over lost £400 a month
- 8 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 9 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
- 10 'Disgusting!' Woman's fury over Simply Red toilets and access
Now in its 17th season, the Prima Tiger Cup is a contact tournament open to all under-10 teams from across the country. More than 50 teams were involved in this season's competition.
The final between Oakham and Old Coventrians, who beat Sutton Coldfield in the other semi-final, will be played at Welford Road before the Tigers' Aviva Premiership game with Saracens on March 5.