Wroxham’s Ellie Blunt earns Sportsaid grant
Promising Wroxham athlete Ellie Blunt has been given a cash boost to help her career blossom.
Former England cricket captain Chris Cowdrey was the guest speaker – and man tasked with presenting the grant to Ellie – on behalf of SportsAid at their Eastern lunch, held last week.
The programme of lunches, which are sponsored by four Norwich-based businesses – Oneonone communications, Howes Percival, Davis Langdon and Lovewell Blake.
They raise funds for bursaries awarded to young sport starlets from the county who have the potential to go on to national and international success with their equipment and travel expenses.
This year, 13-year-old multi-event athlete Ellie was the beneficiary. She was ranked in the top 20 in the UK last year for seven events and is currently in the top 10 in four. She won two golds and a bronze at the National Sportshall final in the 2008-09 season and has recently broken the UK speed bounce record for all age groups, as an under-13.
You may also want to watch:
Previous SportsAid lunches have attracted a host of guest speakers, such as Great Britain javelin thrower Goldie Sayers, who presented Old Catton sailor Bryony Bennett-Lloyd with a cheque for �500 last year.
Ex-England cricketer David Steele, former footballers Duncan McKenzie and Tony Cottee, Olympic gold medallist rower and BBC rowing correspondent Martin Cross and author Will Buckley have also presented grants for SportsAid in the past.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 4 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 9 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
• Any businesses wishing to get involved in SportsAid, or to join one of the lunches can contact Rob Davies on 07709 366310.