VC Baracchi pair move up to third category
- Credit: Archant
Three of Velo Club Baracchi's road racers moved up a category to third cats in the same week.
Luke Rowell of VCB took fourth place in the fourth cat racing at Woodbridge.
Three riders got away within 20 minutes and he formed the nucleus of a second break, as only one of the four who went away with him was taking his turn on the front. He said: 'I managed to conserve enough energy to sprint for fourth.'
Rowell went on to ride with Paul Hayward of VCB in the fourth cats race at the Eagles Crit at Woodbridge and took second place to Hayward. Both earned the points needed to earn third cat licences.
At the popular Lotus League midweek series Paul Wright of VCB won the fourth cat race and also moved up a category.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Richards rode in the E/1/2/3 cats race, which was fast from the off. He said: 'I somehow managed to hold off some great sprinters and get sixth for the second time in only a few days.'
Richards and VCB club-mate Nick Esser raced in the Pedal Norfolk event at Holkham Hall. It was a tough race with no breaks being allowed to get away. The long straight driveway through the grounds was into a direct head wind which brought the pace right down.
- 1 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 2 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 6 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours
- 7 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 8 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 9 Grill van serving gourmet burgers and hot dogs gets residency at city pub
- 10 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
Richards managed to hold on to sixth place after losing out a few places on the hill. Esser was unplaced and he also suffered a shortened race at Woodbridge in the morning while in a breakaway after two laps when he got a puncture.
Charles Jones represented VCB in the Abberton Road Race for third and fourth cats. He attacked and got away, shortly joined by about 10 others, but in the end it came to a bunch sprint. After receiving a push Jones eased back for safety and did not pick up a place in the points.
In the Shaftesbury CC middle markers 25-mile time trial on dual carriageways Paul Dennington overcame the stiff westerly wind to ride a personal best time of 56.56, placed 21st.
Chris Womack and Paul Hayward rode the Orwell Velo 20-mile open time trial at Debenham BS33 course. Hayward's time of 49.27 was a course best and Womack won the 70-75 age group with 52.38. VCB times in the Godric 10-mile club time trial were Haywood 22.13, Lucas He 23.11, Alex He 26.17 and Paul Reed 26.30. Dave Chesterman (UEA CC) won in 21.35.