Norwich boxer loses out to 'Albanian King'
- Credit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
Norwich boxer Rylan Charlton came close to pulling off an upset against the ‘Albanian King’ Florian Marku at the SSE Arena, Wembley.
The unbeaten Marku was knocked to the canvas in the sixth round by Charlton, also previously unbeaten, with an excellent left hook but his opponent rallied to take victory in the eighth round.
Charlton, 28, certainly caused Marku problems and set out his intention in the opening round with a thumping right hand. However, Marku responded with a string of stiff jabs and appeared to be goading Charlton throughout.
Charlton looked in trouble in the fourth round when he took a big right hand and Marku looked in control in the fifth. However, Charlton showed his character in the following round, knocking Marku to the floor and continuing the assault in the seventh.
But Marku rallied and Charlton’s courageous effort was ended in the eighth round when he took a crushing right hand and on weary legs his corner threw in the towel.
You may also want to watch:
Marku celebrated and in the aftermath called out welterweight rival Connor Benn, who he hopes to challenge in the near future.
- 1 Fresh questions over 'Japanese restaurant' in Norwich home
- 2 Police concerned for 25-year-old missing man from Norwich
- 3 Vigil begins as body of 'selfless' nurse arrives at cathedral
- 4 Councillor questions need for new homes plan near Norwich
- 5 Road closure warning for £940,000 traffic shake-up in Norwich
- 6 What a view: Unique apartment in former Norwich school is for sale
- 7 Former city boxing champion denies threats to slash partner's throat
- 8 'It's family and it was taken away' - how pandemic hit hospitality staff
- 9 New £1.9m council car park gets go-ahead despite opposition
- 10 Craig David announces 2021 outdoor concert in Norwich