Norwich Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 8°C

North Walsham cruise to victory against league’s bottom side

PUBLISHED: 09:30 05 February 2018

South Woodham Ferrers do their best to stem the tide at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones

South Woodham Ferrers do their best to stem the tide at Scottow on Saturday. Picture: Hywel Jones

Chasing Rainbows

North Walsham ran in 10 tries against bottom side South Woodham Ferrers, with a hat trick for returning winger Jordan Mustard.

The Vikings played within themselves against the visitors, who made a game of it despite having only 14 men on the field for three-quarters of the match.

Josh Brown broke from deep to put Ryan Oakes over in the first minute and Lee Thompson added the conversion.

Brown then kicked ahead for Dan Smith to follow up for score number two. Two minutes later Mustard handed off three defenders as he sped to his first touchdown.

Woodham went for touch with a kickable penalty but their line-out throw was not straight.

The game then had become bogged down in midfield as Ferrers No 8 Oliver Trigg was given a straight red card for dangerous use of the feet.

The scoring quickly resumed, with Jim Riley breaking for the line and, offloading in the tackle for Thompson to take the bonus point try which he couldn’t convert. Woodham ran their next kickable penalty but were never a threat to the Walsham goal line, the excellent home defence seeing to that.

Mustard snatched a second try before half-time to turn the Vikings round 33-0 in the lead.

Mike Braans added to the scoreboard immediately after the break, Riley following him over shortly after and Thompson added to both to give him six conversions for the day.

Walsham used their ascendancy to test tactical kicking out of hand, but this was not well enough directed for much of the time.

Woodham’s difficulties were added to with a man in the sin bin as Roydon Miller crossed the whitewash for Walsham. In the final quarter Will Haynes and Tim Weber joined the pack, Weber producing a scorching run to put Chalk Hill Brewery man-of-the-match Mustard away for his third try. Team captain Oakes rounded things off with his second goal of the day.

Head of Rugby James Brooks was happy to get back to winning ways and with the effort shown to keep the opposition to nil. He felt this was a good lead in to next weekend’s Norfolk Cup game at Holt, followed by Diss away in the league.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Norwich Evening News visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Norwich Evening News staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Norwich Evening News account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Sport Most Read

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Evening News
digital edition


Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Norwich Evening News daily newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy