Norwich schools urged to sign up for free Olympic tickets
Schools across Norwich are being urged to sign up for free tickets to next summer's Olympic Games.
The call comes as the deadline to take a once in a lifetime opportunity for pupils to go to the London 2012 Games through the Get Set Network comes to a close.
All schools and colleges that apply to join the scheme by the end of today are guaranteed an allocation of London 2012 Ticketshare tickets to the Games.
Some schools in Norwich and across Norfolk have already signed up, including Hethersett Woodside Nursery and Infant School, Hethersett's junior and high schools and Cringleford Primary School.
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, has encouraged more schools to sign up to the scheme. She said: 'I urge local schools to seize this wonderful opportunity and apply for tickets for pupils to attend the London 2012 Olympic Games. With a rail link from Norwich to Stratford, access to the Olympic Games Park is beneficial to local schools wanting to take advantage of this opportunity.'
You may also want to watch:
As well as giving schools and colleges the chance to take pupils to the Games, the Get Set Network is also the official London 2012 education programme, giving teachers and school staff the chance to find resources, ideas and opportunities to help them make the most of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Fiona Whiting, extended schools coordinator for the Hethersett cluster, who is aiming to get all the schools in the cluster signed up, urged other schools to 'go for it'.
- 1 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 2 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 3 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Teenagers set to be sentenced over stabbing
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 Grill van serving gourmet burgers and hot dogs gets residency at city pub
- 7 Virtual reality centre opens in Norwich with huge choice of games
- 8 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 9 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 10 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
She said: 'It inspires and engages schools and young people to be excited about the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and the Get Set Network itself has got some fantastic resources to inspire the children.'
To sign up to the scheme, go to getset.london2012.com
Don't miss this month's edition of our free Olympics supplement, London Calling, on December 28. This month, we find out how our athletes spend Christmas.
Have you got an Olympics story? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com