Norwich Lowriders make good start to Basketball league in Watford
Norwich Lowriders made a promising start to their two 2010-11 National Junior League South Section campaigns in Watford.
Lowriders are competing for the third time in the league, once again in the under-19 and under-15 divisions.
The Under-19s have lost two key players from last season but welcomed Dean Linnell – the new line-up being one of the youngest in the division.
First up were newcomers Celts All Stars from Cardiff, and Lowriders quickly established a 14-0 half-time lead before running out comfortable 26-6 winners.
Their second game was against the more experienced Milton Keynes Aces, who exploded into an early 11-2 lead in game two.
You may also want to watch:
And while Lowriders recovered to lead 15-13 after the break, the Aces took a deserved 24-18 win.
Unchanged from last season, the Under-15s' experience showed through with an opening 20-4 win over Thames Valley Kings, which they topped by thrashing a strong Captial City Scorpions side from London 30-7.
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 3 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 6 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 7 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 8 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 9 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 10 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
The results leave the Under-15s top of their league, while the Under-19s are fourth in their table.
The top four in each group qualify for the end of year play-offs, with the next round of matches in the New Year at Stoke Mandeville.
• Lowriders – Under-19: Chris Girling, Elliott Waterfield, Marc Hewett, Will Smith, Max Bode, Josh Steels, Dean Linnell; Under-15: Alfie Hewitt, Alex Mitton, Joel Connor-Saunders, Sam Mack, Ben Foster, Emil Roger, Rosie Hodgson, Al Roger, Chloe Ambrose.
• Lowriders will continue to train on Saturday mornings at Recreation Road Sports Centre. New players of all abilities are welcome; contact manager Lisa Waterfield on 07766 778528.