MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries thump Terriers to move five points from promotion
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have moved closer to an instant top-flight return as they thrashed Huddersfield Town 7-0 at Carrow Road.
A hat-trick for Teemu Pukki and goals from Emi Buendia, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell and Jordan Hugill mean the Canaries require a maximum of five points to secure promotion.
Brentford became the latest of City's promotion rivals to drop points as they drew at home to Birmingham. Daniel Farke's side saw Watford draw with Middlesbrough and watched on as Swansea lost to Preston.
City were unrelenting in their efforts to add to the scoresheet and went into half-time leading 5-0. This win is their biggest league win since an 8-1 victory over Shrewsbury Town in 1952.
Buendia shined and registered three assists. He added to his tally with a fine strike from outside the area. The Argentine has now scored 12 goals this season.
Pukki's hat-trick is only his second since signing for the club, the Finn has now moved three goals behind Ivan Toney and is on 25 for the season.
City can secure promotion against Bournemouth providing they beat Derby County on Saturday.
- 1 Takeaway investigated after boy in hospital with suspected food poisoning
- 2 Man fined £60 for taking 16 seconds to drop partner at hospital
- 3 Former Norwich North MP and champion of city Dr Ian Gibson dies
- 4 Man arrested in Norwich after appeal launched
- 5 A nice place for a nap... Seal spotted dozing under Norwich bridge
- 6 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 7 Tributes paid to popular Avenue Middle School head who taught thousands of Norwich children
- 8 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 9 'He lived and breathed Norwich' - Glowing tributes to Dr Ian Gibson
- 10 Man denies murder of 42-year-old who was stabbed in neck
- Follow the action live via our match day blog from Carrow Road with our Canaries correspondents.