'Worthy champions' - City fans celebrate trophy lift
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was plenty of emotion in the air as Norwich City lifted the Championship trophy at Oakwell.
On the pitch, the curtains closed on City's Championship campaign with a 2-2 draw against a tough Barnsley side gearing up for the playoffs.
The Canaries also said farewell to long-serving midfielders Mario Vrancic and Alex Tettey. The Norweigan was visibly emotional after leaving the pitch late on. Both started the game, with Daniel Farke opting for sentiment after City were crowned champions last weekend.
An Adam Idah equaliser ensured City ended the season with 97 points, a new club record in the second tier.
The young Irish international netted the opening goal of the campaign against Huddersfield Town back in August, and rifled home from close range to bookend the season.
City were presented with the trophy after the game, with Grant Hanley and Tettey lifting it in the rain. A well deserved achievement for a side who have proven themselves to be the outstanding team in the league.
- Read the thoughts of Norwich City fans above and below
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 5 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 6 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 7 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 8 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 9 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 10 Cannabis dealer had more than £8300 in cash stashed away