Norwich City boss Chris Hughton confirms interest in Kansas City’s Kei Kamara
PUBLISHED: 11:28 24 January 2013 | UPDATED: 16:08 24 January 2013
Norwich City manager Chris Hughton has confirmed an interest in striker Kei Kamara, who is currently plying his trade in the United States.
At today’s press conference ahead of the Canaries’ FA Cup fourth round tie at home to Luton Town on Saturday, Hughton said: “Kei Kamara is a player we’ve made enquiries about, but as far as anything more than that it is all I can tell you. He is one of lots of players we have enquired about. Some reach the public domain, you expect it these days, but generally 99% of what is in the media has no fact. Any progress or not will take place behind–the-scenes. All I will say is it’s an enquiry and that is the process which goes on week in, week out. If and when there is any definite news we’ll get it to you.”
Sky Sports claimed last night that the Canaries had made a bid for the 28-year-old, who has a good scoring record with his Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas City.
Kamara is one of three players to score nine or more goals in each of the last three seasons and is thought to be in the last year of his contract with the MLS, who own the rights for the players.
Born in Sierra Leone, Kamara emigrated to the United States as a teenager and has spent the last eight years playing for various professional clubs, with Kansas securing his services from Houston Dynamo in 2009.
A full international for Sierra Leone with 14 appearances and two goals to his name, he had a trial with Stoke City in December but was not offered a deal.
Hughton refused to be drawn on a reported interest in QPR’s Scottish international Jamie Mackie, and the City boss was also tight-lipped regarding progress on potential moves for Celtic’s Gary Hooper and Swansea’s Danny Graham.
“They are names that got into the public domain and sometimes it is difficult to stop that. We are where we are on the (Hooper) one,” he said. “We are speaking about a player that is not our player. People now know what the facts are. Yes, there was a bid put in. The rest we will have to wait and see. Regarding anything that does get out we can’t control that. What I can control is what I tell you now. Anything we try to do is done in the best way and very much club-to-club. With him (Graham), it is similar to what I have just said, we try to do as much as possible in the appropriate way and that is another one that has made the public domain.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Norwich Evening News. Click the link in the orange box above for details.