'That'd be fun': Hugh Jackman jokes about Norwich City takeover bid
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images/Ian West/PA Images
As Wolverine and Deadpool they forged a rivalry in the comic book world, before one dipped their toe into football club ownership.
But now acting sensation Hugh Jackman has joked that he may follow in the footsteps of his Hollywood "frenemy", Ryan Reynolds and take over his beloved Canaries.
The Australian actor, whose films include The Greatest Showman and X-Men, has links to Norfolk through his mother - who still lives in Norwich.
In previous interviews from 2011, Jackman said that he visited her a number of times as a young boy and even made a trip to Carrow Road when he was 16.
Following this, he also revealed how celebrity supporters Delia Smith and Stephen Fry once wrote to him offering up the opportunity to invest in the football club - an offer he said he regretted turning down.
But in an interview with the LADbible in August this year the question was once again put to the actor – after he was told fellow film star Ryan Reynolds had taken over Wrexham AFC, in Wales alongside It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia star Rob McElhenney.
Jackman and Reynolds have had “long-running beef” and have often tried to one-up each other over the years.
Talking to LADbible, Jackman said: “I had never considered it - until just that last bit of that sentence."
You may also want to watch:
The Wolverine actor then suggested he could buy Norwich City in order to go head-to-head against Wrexham in a winner-takes-all match.
The 52-year-old said: "Let's get that game together. That'd be fun.
- 1 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 4 Community in shock as murder investigation launched
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Suburb's shock after mugging attempt leaves teen laying on path
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 9 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 10 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
"And then maybe Ryan and I could just make it a little side wager. Like, everything; let's just put everything that we own and love - families, kids, everything - on the line. And let's get Norwich playing Wrexham."
Responding to Jackman's proposition, Reynolds told LADbible: "I don't think that's a wise idea.
"I mean, you know, Hugh has the business acumen of a slug. So, I don't think that would go over very well."
He added: "I would back Wrexham to beat just about anybody, if you just give us a little time."
But Delia Smith's seat in the boardroom remains safe, despite Jackman's jokes.