Farke calms talk of Rangers loan move for captain Martin
PUBLISHED: 18:00 29 December 2017 | UPDATED: 18:49 29 December 2017
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Club captain Russell Martin remains a part of Daniel Farke's plans at Norwich City, despite reports of an imminent loan move to Scottish giants Rangers.
City’s head coach was asked if Martin could be leaving during the January transfer window, with the 31-year-old defender not having featured since a 4-0 thrashing at Millwall in August.
Farke made it clear he would not be commenting on speculation but did praise the Scotland international’s attitude, suggesting he was not surplus to requirements despite only playing U23s football in recent months.
“I’ve spoken about Russell Martin’s impact after several games he was not on the pitch, or in the squad, and I’ve praised him a lot about his attitude and his professionalism,” the German said, following the report in Scottish newspaper the Daily Record.
“In our bad run a few weeks ago he was trying to be there for the guys, trying to create some things to help with the mood and the togetherness.
“So all I can say about Russ is I’m full of respect for his career and his attitude, he is our club captain and I’m happy to have him in this group, not at all would I say we don’t need him.”
MORE: Norwich City transfer rumours: Russell Martin set to join Rangers on loan
Also playing a dead bat to reports that Cameron Jerome could be sold to Cardiff, the former Borussia Dortmund U23s boss was ready for the inevitable questions ahead of the transfer window opening on Monday.
“I think in January it is generally quite normal that we will always have rumours about players who could leave and could come in, that’s part of the business but I won’t comment on speculation,” Farke said, ahead of today’s trip to struggling Burton Albion.
“In this period we have so many games, four in nine days and then the Chelsea game is awaiting so I can’t concentrate on rumours or speculation. I just concentrate on my job and try to bring more consistency to our results and also our performances.
“So there is a lot to do, so all the (transfer) topics are for Stuart Webber, our sporting director, and I just concentrate on the sporting side.”
Team news: Hoolahan and Jerome fit to return as Farke demands focus from Canaries for Burton battle
Farke also laughed off photos circulating on social media that some fans speculated were of Farke speaking to Eintracht Brauschweig winger Onel Hernandez – and also didn’t comment on whether the Cuban was a target.
“I heard about it out of a German newspaper, there was an article and a photo in a big German newspaper with a photo of me and I think it was Colin Quaner, from Huddersfield, I was linked with him,” the Canaries chief continued.
“So (apparently) I was pictured last Thursday in the Holiday Inn with Colin Quaner and then there was some news two hours later, it was not Colin Quaner but Onel Hernandez from Eintracht Braunschweig. To be honest, I know both players really well, good players.
“Thursday morning I arrived here at Colney at 8.15 in the morning and left at 6pm, so to be honest, I like to work a lot and I like to work pretty early so if I had been in the Holiday Inn on Thursday morning I would have arrived there at 6am to speak to a new player – which even for me would be a bit too early to talk about contracts.
“I can say that on Thursday morning I wasn’t in the Holiday Inn at all and someone said there was a picture of me with a player.
“Yesterday I was in Intu Chapelfield, our big Shopping Mall, because I bought many Christmas presents and for sure I made many mistakes so I had to substitute them!
“And if each one that I was in a photo with was a player, we would have about 15 new players linked with me, because I was in a lot of photos – so I don’t pay too much attention to photos or anything like this.”