Chris Sutton: Hayden is the man to fill the Oliver Skipp void at City
- Credit: PA
The first signing after relegation is always an important one and signing Isaac Hayden is a real statement of intent from Norwich City.
Dean Smith described his side as being 'too easy to play against' last season and that isn't a statement that can be argued against. Ever since Oliver Skipp, who was excellent in the Championship, returned to Tottenham, Norwich have had a gaping hole in defensive midfield.
Norwich never replaced him. Mathias Normann displayed flashes of quality but they lacked a real enforcer. That is what Hayden does.
I've seen him play centre half and right-back for Newcastle, so there is versatility from him but he's been signed to inject some steel and real physicality into a Norwich team that was meek in the Premier League.
Some people may put a question mark on his head because of his lack of game time last season or some deficiencies within his game but Norwich have just been relegated and lacked steel. He will bring those attributes in abundance. The mission is to achieve a better balance in midfield.
It is tough to attract players after relegation from the Premier League. Hayden has played a vast number of games for Newcastle and been an excellent servant to that club. Smith will have identified him as someone who can become a real driving force in the centre of the pitch in the Championship.
For me, if you look at the biggest problem area for Norwich last season - it was the midfield.
- 1 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 2 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 3 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 4 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 5 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 6 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 7 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 8 Dodgy door halts city man's house move by MONTHS
- 9 Neighbours' fears after cannabis farm raided in city
- 10 Man left with facial injuries after assault in city
You can continue reading Norwich City legend Chris Sutton's column exclusively on the Pink Un + app here
- If you have not already done so, get a free one month trial to read more columns from Chris and our other experts by downloading the app here (which works on desktop and mobile devices).