Norfolk’s Joe Ground on target for archery recognition
Joe Ground had a double reason to celebrate after clinching the 2010 national Under-12 indoor title in Telford.
The talented archer, from Little Ellingham near Attleborough, was presented with his winner's cup and medal by Commonwealth gold medallist Nicky Hunt after an impressive success against the best of his national age group rivals in the prestigious competition – held just days before his 12th birthday.
Earlier this year, Joe received a �450 grant from Breckland Council's Gifted and Talented Fund which enabled him to benefit from specialist one-to-one professional coaching from respected trio Mark Wheeler, Tom Barber and Andy Beer, which has helped him improve his technique and excel at national junior level.
Joe's mother, Elizabeth, is convinced Norfolk's new national champion has reaped the benefits of Breckland Council's funding scheme.
'Joe has gained enormously from the help Breckland has provided over the past year,' she said. 'The improvement in his technique was reflected in his scores at the tournament.
You may also want to watch:
'These were significantly higher than other boys in his age group.'
Joe has notched up a number of eye-catching triumphs this year, including breaking three county records for his age group and gaining second place in the National Archery Society young archer-of-the-year award.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 Norwich named UK's most romantic destination
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 City staff facing 'mass burnout' but what is behind the extreme exhaustion?
- 8 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 9 Norwich man wanted by police
- 10 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
His next goal is to join other talented youngsters in the Great Britain archery squad.