Luton Town Ladies 8 Norwich City Ladies 2: Canaries well beaten by Hatters
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies fell to a heavy defeat at Luton Town Ladies in South East Division One of the FA Women's Premier League.
Both teams mounted attacks early on but it was the Canaries, who drew first blood when Aimee Durrant crossed for Natasha Snelling to slot home past keeper Amy Weedon in the ninth minute.
However, from the restart Luton struck back as Lisa Nixon beat Fiona Coombes, the Norwich keeper, to make it one apiece.
Norwich, stunned by the quick response, spent the next few minutes settling down but Luton took control with two goals in quick succession through a brace from Nicola Henman.
Norwich tried to regroup but, shortly after, Jessica McKay made it 4-1 with a fine finish and it got worse for the Canaries before half-time as Amy Summerfield made it 5-1.
Luton brought on Joanne Rutherford for Kim Farrow at the start of the second half and the Hatters found the net again when Zara Carroll netted.
Norwich responded by making their only substitution of the day with Hayley Turner replacing Durrant whilst Luton then brought on Natasha Fensome for Steph Gayle.
- 1 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 2 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 3 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 4 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
- 5 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 6 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 7 Huge 'magazine worthy' bungalow near Norwich is back up for sale for £1.1m
- 8 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
- 9 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 10 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
The Hatters continued on the offensive and scored a seventh in the 62nd minute through Rutherford before they made their final substitution, bringing on Charlotte Motto for Dione Manning.
Norwich doggedly stuck to their task and were rewarded in the 78th minute when Millie Daviss finished calmly in a one-on-one situation against Weedon.
However, with just minutes on the clock, Luton made it eight with Fensome completing the scoring.
With defeat on the road, Norwich will now have to regroup and prepare for next week's home fixture against Denham United Ladies, on Sunday, December 3 at Plantation Park.
Norwich: Coombes, Osborne, Ward, Diston, McDonald, Daviss, Moerkerk, Shorten, Durrant (Turner 56), Snelling, Garrett, Subs not used: none
Luton: Weedon, Summerfield, Webster, Byron, Manning (Motto 65), McKay, Henman, Carroll, Nixon, Farrow (Rutherford 46), Gayle (Fensome 58). Subs not used: Southby
Referee: Spencer Brewer