Lack of killer touch leads to Penney frustrations
Dave Penney was greeted with calls for his head to roll as Oldham fans become increasingly frustrated by their team's relegation battle. The Latics have faced three of the top four - City, Leeds and Colchester - in their last three games, and have nothing to show for their efforts.
Dave Penney was greeted with calls for his head to roll as Oldham fans become increasingly frustrated by their team's relegation battle.
The Latics have faced three of the top four - City, Leeds and Colchester - in their last three games, and have nothing to show for their efforts.
And boss Penney was left to rue their lack of killer instinct as Grant Holt condemned them to another week of misery.
"Our performance was excellent, but it's the same old story of not putting the ball in the net," said Penney.
You may also want to watch:
"We made really good chances and gave the leaders a tough game, but it feels like I'm saying the same thing every week.
"The players' commitment and work rate was first class, and I cannot fault that part of our game. If we keep turning in those performances we will pick up points, but we haven't scored enough goals all season.
- 1 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 2 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 3 Neighbours celebrate Norfolk Day bar win with street party
- 4 Bars and clubs see busy night as police up patrols
- 5 'Freedom Day' Hindu wedding in Norwich watched by 5m plus people
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 8 Shoe shop founded in 1857 closes down
- 9 Cafe in historic park pavilion to reopen after £36,000 renovation
- 10 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
"I thought we matched them well - we have done enough in the game, but we have not taken our chances.
"We had chances top score - we had an effort cleared off the line and their goalkeeper made good saves. That is the difference between teams at the top and the bottom of the league - you take your chances well.
"We were disappointed with the goal we conceded. We can always pick fault with every goal we let in."