Grays Athletic 2 Norwich United 1: Planters go down to 10-man Grays
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Norwich United will be hoping the old adage that luck evens itself out over the course of the season comes true after 10-man Grays Athletic were awarded a 49th penalty with no-one, other than the referee, quite sure why.
Kieran Bishop duly converting from the spot to put the home side back on level terms after Grays had lost centre-half Jack Fowler 10 minutes before the break when he brought down Liam Jackson just outside the box with the striker closing in on goal. The referee showed him a straight red and Adam Hipperson curled the free kick inside the near post.
Tim Henery twice looked likely to score as the Planters searched to regain the lead, a shot brought a fine save from Lamar Johnson and another shot went inches wide of the post.
Substitute Joao Carlos fired a shot inside the near post from the left in the 76th minute to knock the stuffing out of the visitors.
Grays Ath: Johnson, Folkes, Cross, Cogan (Bruce 39), Fowler, Muguo, Poole (Brown 46), Cole, Bishop, Slabber (Carlos 65), Halle. Unused subs: Zialor, Monsheju.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich United: Wilton, Probert, Dade, Wones, Eastaugh, Watts, Applegate, Pollock (Oyeniran 70), Henery (Stewart 67), Jackson, Hipperson. Unused sub: Jones.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 7 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 8 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week