Dereham's Will Smith takes silver in London
Michael BaileyRising star Will Smith took a silver medal at this year's London Marathon on Sunday.The Dereham 14-year-old finished second in the under-17 mini-marathon wheelchair race, setting a new personal best time of 14 minutes 42 seconds in the process.Michael Bailey
Rising star Will Smith took a silver medal at this year's London Marathon on Sunday.
The Dereham 14-year-old finished second in the under-17 mini-marathon wheelchair race, setting a new personal best time of 14 minutes 42 seconds in the process.
It was 17 seconds better than the time Smith recorded last year over the three-mile course - despite the wet conditions.
The junior competition had 36 entrants and was held over the last section of the full marathon course in the capital.
It had been a marathon journey for Smith to make the famous event in the first place, after flight cancellations due to the volcanic ash cloud from Iceland left the family with a 1,500 mile trip by car from southern Spain earlier in the week to ensure Will could compete.
His focus will now shift to the track season, which begins with the British Wheelchair Racing Association Open on Sunday, at Stoke Mandeville, where he will compete against the best junior and senior athletes in the country.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 3 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 4 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 5 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 8 REVEALED: Hotspots in Norwich with the most burglaries
- 9 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 10 Woman hunts venue for 200 people and Madness tribute after The Talk shuts