Dereham’s Dan Zelos shows his karting talents
Dereham racer Dan Zelos got his 2011 Super One Series campaign off to the best possible start with a debut victory on the national karting scene at PF International – and now he is aiming to go all the way and clinch the coveted British crown.
With two years' experience under his belt in fellow national competition Formula Kart Stars, 12-year-old Zelos has come on leaps and bounds since joining Prima Racing last spring.
Heading to PF however, Dan was aware of the calibre of opposition he would face in the 33-strong comer cadet class: 'I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I just tried my hardest like I always do.
'I had fairly high hopes, but I know there are about 10 drivers who can win this year.
'My aim was to have a good qualifying and a good couple of heats to secure a good starting position for the finals.
You may also want to watch:
'I thought to get into the top three would be brilliant.'
Zelos did better than that – qualifying fourth, only 0.05 seconds shy of the benchmark, before nailing seventh and third in his two heats.
- 1 Teenager suffers stab wounds in fight in Norwich
- 2 A Botanical Garden Bar and Christmas market is heading to Norwich
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 4 What a Boost - chocolate box business thrives amid demand for postal treats
- 5 Junkyard Market is returning to Norwich for Christmas
- 6 Water outages hit homes across city
- 7 'Heartless' fraudster stole from elderly hospital patients
- 8 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 9 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 10 Six schools in Norwich area closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
Despite being taken out early in the first final, Zelos recovered to take fifth place – before the Northgate High School pupil left everyone in his wake to take the final race with a brave manoeuvre on the last lap.
Zelos added: 'When the chequered flag came down and I was first, I was so happy. I hadn't even won a club meeting at PF before, so it felt absolutely brilliant.
'I had everybody coming up to me to shake my hand – I just couldn't believe I had won. It was such an amazing feeling.'
Next in the Dereham racer's sights is maintaining a 2011 championship challenge.
'Everything's in-place so the rest of it is up to us, and I needed to get a good points haul at PF to prove to other people and to myself that I can do it,' he said.
'I'm racing against the best and I'm up at the front. Every time I'm in the lead, it gives me so much confidence. I'm out to win the championship now.'
• If you are interested in sponsoring Zelos, you contact his dad Andy at: email@example.com