Angus Gunn has opened up on the frustrations he felt after impressive Premier League performances failed to secure him the number one shirt at Norwich City.

Gunn replaced veteran Tim Krul for the closing games of the 2021-22 top flight campaign, but was benched for the Dutchman in what appeared to be a farewell gesture from then-head coach Dean Smith.

Krul was installed once again at the start of the following Championship season, however, and the Scottish international has for the first time revealed his true feelings about that decision.

“I managed to get six or seven games in that season in the Premier League,” he said, recalling the situation on the You Me Away podcast. “Obviously we got relegated, but I did pretty well and felt pretty confident.

“Then we went back into the Championship, and I thought I was probably coming back in and being number one after the way I ended the season.

“In pre-season you never really know sometimes, and then it came to the first game and I wasn’t playing again. It was a bit of a kick in the teeth. At that time I had to stay patient, and we started really well that year.

“But it got to the middle of the season, just before Christmas, and we had a big dip. Then I managed to get in the team, felt really good and did really well, and ever since then I’ve played most of the games really.”

David Wagner briefly started Krul ahead of the 27-year-old, but the now-Luton man’s departure signalled a clear first-choice role for Gunn henceforth. He believes that faith and clarity has only improved his performance, as he prepares to return from injury for City’s meeting with QPR at Carrow Road on Saturday.

“Whenever players are happy you always get the best out of them,” he continued. “Obviously I had to bide my time a little bit, but at that time learning from someone like Tim, who was doing really well. But I knew at that stage of his career that there would be opportunities, with injuries or whatever.

“I knew I just had to be patient. That was the year the manager (Farke) left Norwich as well, so Dean Smith came in halfway through the year, and I had to be patient again when they changed the manager.”