Yarmouth area hit by fly-tipping
Stephen PullingerFamilies in the Great Yarmouth area are being asked to help the borough council in a crackdown on fly-tipping.A number of car tyres have been left in piles in ditches and by roadsides in the last few days at locations including West Somerton, the entrance to a driveway in St Olaves and the EuroCentre industrial estate in Runham Vauxhall.Stephen Pullinger
Families in the Great Yarmouth area are being asked to help the borough council in a crackdown on fly-tipping.
A number of car tyres have been left in piles in ditches and by roadsides in the last few days at locations including West Somerton, the entrance to a driveway in St Olaves and the EuroCentre industrial estate in Runham Vauxhall.
Paul Shucksmith, a senior environmental ranger for Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said: 'From the numbers of tyres being left, we assume they come from a business, but with the incidents so far apart in distance, it is hard to tell whether they are connected.
'Whoever the culprit or culprits may be, I would like to call on the public to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity that may lead us to those responsible.
'Money spent on clearing up this kind of material is taxpayers' money that isn't spent on more positive measures in the borough.'
Anyone with information about the recent incidents, or who perhaps knows of someone who had an amount of tyres or bulky items that have suddenly disappeared, is asked to call the council's environmental health helpline on 01493 846478.
- 1 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 2 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 3 See inside this £1.15m Bridgerton-style city centre period property
- 4 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 5 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 6 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 7 Reunion for workers from the historic city factory still going strong
- 8 Roadworks slammed a 'complete mess' as another cycle lane is closed
- 9 Hidden city garden opening with live music and plant sale
- 10 Plea to get 5ft mega bush axed from busy pavement