Yarmouth area hit by fly-tipping
Stephen PullingerFamilies in the Great Yarmouth area are being asked to help the borough council in a crackdown on fly-tipping.A number of car tyres have been left in piles in ditches and by roadsides in the last few days at locations including West Somerton, the entrance to a driveway in St Olaves and the EuroCentre industrial estate in Runham Vauxhall.Stephen Pullinger
Families in the Great Yarmouth area are being asked to help the borough council in a crackdown on fly-tipping.
A number of car tyres have been left in piles in ditches and by roadsides in the last few days at locations including West Somerton, the entrance to a driveway in St Olaves and the EuroCentre industrial estate in Runham Vauxhall.
Paul Shucksmith, a senior environmental ranger for Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said: 'From the numbers of tyres being left, we assume they come from a business, but with the incidents so far apart in distance, it is hard to tell whether they are connected.
'Whoever the culprit or culprits may be, I would like to call on the public to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity that may lead us to those responsible.
You may also want to watch:
'Money spent on clearing up this kind of material is taxpayers' money that isn't spent on more positive measures in the borough.'
Anyone with information about the recent incidents, or who perhaps knows of someone who had an amount of tyres or bulky items that have suddenly disappeared, is asked to call the council's environmental health helpline on 01493 846478.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 5 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 6 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 7 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 8 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 9 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 10 Norwich artist 'complimented' as thieves nick four of his paintings