Wymondham woman's marathon crusade
Stephanie BrooksFive years ago she cycled the length of the country to help neglected and abused horses.Stephanie Brooks
Five years ago she cycled the length of the country to help neglected and abused horses.
Now Frances Plume, from Wymondham, is strapping on her running shoes to complete the London Marathon to raise more money for the cause closest to her heart.
The 41-year-old has worked for Snetterton-based charity World Horse Welfare as a fund-raising officer for 11 years.
By running the gruelling 26 mile course, she hopes to collect �1,500 for the organisation, which rescues, rehabilitates and rehomes hundreds of neglected horses each year.
You may also want to watch:
In 2005, Frances pedalled from John O'Groats to Lands End with colleague Mel Wallis-Johnson and raised about �7,000, which was split between Welfare for Horses and other charities.
She said she was inspired to take up her latest challenge following the death of her own horse Red in May last year.
- 1 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 New 24-hour McDonald's branch poised for green light
- 4 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 5 6 best Chinese takeaways in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 6 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 7 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 8 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 9 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 10 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
'I lost my horse last year which was really difficult. My focus was to keep busy and have a goal and it turned into this,' she said.
Despite her sporty past, Frances said prior to training, she had never run more than a couple of miles.
'I realise that I have set myself quite a challenge, but I am very determined and have had fantastic support from my colleagues. If the horses that World Horse Welfare help every day can keep plodding on against the unbelievable odds, then I guess I can too,' she said.
To sponsor Frances, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/francesplume