Wymondham woman's marathon crusade
Stephanie BrooksFive years ago she cycled the length of the country to help neglected and abused horses.Stephanie Brooks
Five years ago she cycled the length of the country to help neglected and abused horses.
Now Frances Plume, from Wymondham, is strapping on her running shoes to complete the London Marathon to raise more money for the cause closest to her heart.
The 41-year-old has worked for Snetterton-based charity World Horse Welfare as a fund-raising officer for 11 years.
By running the gruelling 26 mile course, she hopes to collect �1,500 for the organisation, which rescues, rehabilitates and rehomes hundreds of neglected horses each year.
You may also want to watch:
In 2005, Frances pedalled from John O'Groats to Lands End with colleague Mel Wallis-Johnson and raised about �7,000, which was split between Welfare for Horses and other charities.
She said she was inspired to take up her latest challenge following the death of her own horse Red in May last year.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 'They don't add up' - Mixed reaction to city development plans
'I lost my horse last year which was really difficult. My focus was to keep busy and have a goal and it turned into this,' she said.
Despite her sporty past, Frances said prior to training, she had never run more than a couple of miles.
'I realise that I have set myself quite a challenge, but I am very determined and have had fantastic support from my colleagues. If the horses that World Horse Welfare help every day can keep plodding on against the unbelievable odds, then I guess I can too,' she said.
To sponsor Frances, visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/francesplume