Wymondham music event cancelled because of safety fears
Stephanie BrooksA popular live music event due to take place this weekend has been cancelled over concerns about crowd safety.Stephanie Brooks
A popular live music event due to take place this weekend has been cancelled over concerns about crowd safety.
Live 'n' Gigging, which showcases the area's best young bands and up-and-coming DJs, was supposed to take place on Saturday at Browick Road recreation ground, in Wymondham.
The free event, which is part of the annual Wymondham Music Festival, has attracted thousands of young people over the past 10 years.
However, festival organisers said new issues concerning how the day is marshalled and fears that visitor numbers at the open ground could exceed more than the event's licence permits have caused it to be cancelled at the last minute.
You may also want to watch:
John Wood, chairman of Wymondham Music Festival, said: 'We regret having to take this decision which we have done after consultation with Norfolk Constabulary and with Norfolk County Council children's services, whose SN Sounds team work so hard with local young people to provide the music for events of this kind.
'We have successfully run similar events as part of Wymondham Music Festival for the past 10 years. We are really sorry to disappoint the young musicians and their families, friends and supporters.'
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Daughters hold dad's hand one last time in emotional hospital goodbye
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 9 Motorcyclist taken to hospital with leg injuries after NDR crash
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
Tom Savory, assistant director of children's services at Norfolk County Council, said: 'We are sorry that event has had to be cancelled at such short notice. The event had been planned on a small scale and the partners involved had not anticipated the level of interest that has now become apparent.
'It is clear that there is not the capacity to safely manage the numbers planning to attend and we have, therefore, had to take the difficult decision to call off this year's event.
'The safety and welfare of the young people involved has to be our priority.'