Wymondham hairdresser to mark first flight with a charity skydive
A young hairdresser will be plunging 10,000 ft in a charity skydive, despite never having stepped inside an aeroplane before.
First-time flyer Gemma Snelling, 19, of Great Ellingham, near Attleborough, will be heading to Beccles Airfield on September 25 to bravely undertake a tandem skydive for Parkinson's UK.
The 19-year-old, who works in Marolas hair salon, in Wymondham, hopes to raise hundreds of pounds in tribute to family members who have suffered with the disease.
She said: 'After much thought and in wanting to raise as much money as possible I decided to do a tandem skydive from 10,000 ft – although I've never done anything like this before and have never been a passenger in an aircraft.
'I'm determined to take the jump. I'm quite excited about it.'
Parkinson's UK is a national charity which supports research into treatments for the disease and provides guidance for sufferers.
On her chosen charity, Gemma added: 'It's a lesser known charity then some and it's of particular interest because of two great-grandparents who suffered with the condition for more than 20 years. I also last another family member to the illness.
- 1 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 2 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 3 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 4 Mystery over how grotty sofa ended up on garage roof
- 5 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 6 Efforts step up to protect city park from development
- 7 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 8 Norfolk cheese restaurant is launching bottomless brunch this summer
- 9 Glimpses of Norwich week 25: a picture a day from a week in our fine city
- 10 Pupils reach for the rainbow for Norwich Pride Schools Week
'It's a very worthy cause and I'm looking forward to raising as much money as possible so if anyone is willing to help please get in contact.'
To sponsor Gemma, call Marolas hair salon on 01953 602847 or pop into the shop in Fairland Street.
Are you taking on a brave challenge for charity? Email email@example.com