Wymondham couple celebrate ‘180th’ birthday
A WYMONDHAM couple, who are approaching 70 years of marriage, overcame ill health to enjoy a '180th' birthday party in the town.
More than 50 family and friends joined the celebration on Saturday, November 6 to mark the 90th birthdays of Vera and Ray Gray, right.
Vera, who turned 90 in early October, fell and broke her hip shortly after her birthday and the big party was in jeopardy. But with the help and support of her family, the staff at Dereham Hospital where she is currently recovering, and a wheelchair taxi, she was able to attend the celebrations.
Ray, a former Colman's worker in Norwich, who will be 90 in early January, is currently recovering at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital after having a fall.
The couple, who married in 1942, have two children, two grandchildren and four great grandchildren, and celebrated their birthdays at the Town Green Centre in Wymondham.
You may also want to watch:
Instead of presents the couple asked for donations of �205 to be presented to the Children's Society as Mrs Gray used to help in the charity's Wymondham shop.
They moved to Wymondham four years ago after previously living in Trowse, in Norwich.
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 5 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 6 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours