Win a tattoo from Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes
- Credit: Submitted
Get a permanent memory of Norwich gig by Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes with a tattoo done by the man himself on the night, plus soundcheck access and exclusive memorabilia.
You probably have an image on Frank Carter in your mind. Leaning out into a moshpit, stripped to the waist with nearly every spare inch of flesh covered by a tattoo and screaming so hard the tendons in his neck threaten to burst through the skin.
The singer was a key member of Watford hardcore punk outfit Gallows. But having found himself at a creative impasse, he left the band after two albums, Orchestra of Wolves in 2006 and 2009's Grey Britain, to embark on a new project, Pure Love.
While Pure Love's muscular melodic rock wasn't a complete volte-face artistically, he found people weren't ready to accept quite as sudden a change of direction from a performer who had been such an intrinsic part of the hardcore landscape.
Then in 2015 he formed Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes, releasing an EP called Rotten before their debut album Blossom. Now he is bringing the band for a date at the UEA LCR in Norwich in support of their second album Modern Ruin.
The tour date is being supported by Sailor Jerry, the bold, and smooth as hell spiced rum and we have teamed up to offer readers the chance to win exclusive memorabilia and backstage access to the sound check, plus the chance to have a tattoo by Frank before the gig.
Frank Carter and Sailor Jerry have a history that stems well back to the father of American old school tattooing Norman 'Sailor Jerry' Collins. Frank, a well-regarded tattooist himself, previously co-owned a studio in the US with famous tattoo artist Keith Underwood, the last living link to the Sailor Jerry ink.
- 1 New images show progress of Sweet Briar Road repair
- 2 ANOTHER shop in major city street will soon be empty
- 3 Police descend on city home 'frightening the life' out of neighbours
- 4 'Rarely available' Victorian home in Golden Triangle on sale for £475k
- 5 Driver with expired license overtakes police at 95mph
- 6 Single mum summoned to court SIX YEARS after parking charge issued
- 7 'Proper pub grub' with a tapas twist to launch at city boozer
- 8 Harry Potter-themed shop nominated for award six weeks after opening
- 9 Will Sweet Briar Road repairs be completed by the end of the month?
- 10 Which parts of Norwich could be underwater by 2030?
He explains: 'When I first saw Sailor Jerry tattoos, it had the same impact as the first time I heard Black Flag, the first time I saw Descent From The Cross, the first time I watched Apocalypse Now; suddenly the world made more sense, and I felt like I knew more about myself than I did before.'
Body art is part of Frank's pre-concert rituals including tattooing to get in the zone. And on this tour he will be inking up lucky fans prior to each show using his collection of iconic Sailor Jerry flash art.
'As an avid collector of tattoo memorabilia I have many sheets of original Sailor Jerry tattoo sketches,' he explains. 'As such I decided to make some time available on the tour to let people come and see my collection and choose a tattoo to be applied by me.'
• Enter to win one of the ultimate Sailor Jerry X Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes tattoo experiences at Norwich gig by visiting Facebook.com/SailorJerry
• Each winner selected will receive a Sailor Jerry flash art tattoo by Frank himself, plus backstage sound check access and exclusive memorabilia. A concert memory you'll get to wear forever!
• Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, UEA LCR, Norwich, December 7, 7.30pm, £17.50, 01603 508050, ueaticketbookings.co.uk