Whitlingham Country Park ice warning
Anthony CarrollIrresponsible people were putting their lives at risk today by walking across frozen stretches of water at Whitlingham Country Park, outside Norwich.The warning from the Broads Authority came as park staff found a bench had been placed on the iced up Little Broad and people were also ignoring signs not to go on the park's frozen Great Broad.Anthony Carroll
Irresponsible people were putting their lives at risk today by walking across frozen stretches of water at Whitlingham Country Park, outside Norwich.
The warning from the Broads Authority came as park staff found a bench had been placed on the iced up Little Broad and people were also ignoring signs not to go on the park's frozen Great Broad.
Russell Wilson, Park Manager said: 'This is dangerous and irresponsible behaviour and people are putting their lives, and those of others, at risk.
'While we invite everyone to enjoy Whitlingham, which is like a winter wonderland in the snow, we advise them not to venture on the ice as we don't know how safe it is.
You may also want to watch:
'The water is obviously icy cold and people can die of hypothermia very quickly or drown if they are caught under the ice. Please keep also dogs under control too and don't go after them if they stray on to the ice.'
The Broads Authority is also urging people not to go boating or set foot on other frozen rivers and broads during the current cold snap, which has seen Oulton Broad, Barton Broad, Ranworth Broad and Womack Water covered in ice.
- 1 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 2 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 3 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 4 Mayhem across city as drivers race to the petrol pumps
- 5 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 6 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 7 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 8 Norfolk to be hit by weekend bus cancellations due to driver shortage
- 9 New flights from Norwich Airport to Jersey
- 10 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
Adrian Vernon, head navigation ranger, said: 'The Broads may look inviting when they are frozen and other people may already be on the ice but it is not possible to tell how thick it is.
'It can vary in different parts of the same area of water. Please don't become a victim and endanger the people that may have to rescue you.'