Whitlingham Country Park ice warning
Anthony CarrollIrresponsible people were putting their lives at risk today by walking across frozen stretches of water at Whitlingham Country Park, outside Norwich.The warning from the Broads Authority came as park staff found a bench had been placed on the iced up Little Broad and people were also ignoring signs not to go on the park's frozen Great Broad.Anthony Carroll
Irresponsible people were putting their lives at risk today by walking across frozen stretches of water at Whitlingham Country Park, outside Norwich.
The warning from the Broads Authority came as park staff found a bench had been placed on the iced up Little Broad and people were also ignoring signs not to go on the park's frozen Great Broad.
Russell Wilson, Park Manager said: 'This is dangerous and irresponsible behaviour and people are putting their lives, and those of others, at risk.
'While we invite everyone to enjoy Whitlingham, which is like a winter wonderland in the snow, we advise them not to venture on the ice as we don't know how safe it is.
You may also want to watch:
'The water is obviously icy cold and people can die of hypothermia very quickly or drown if they are caught under the ice. Please keep also dogs under control too and don't go after them if they stray on to the ice.'
The Broads Authority is also urging people not to go boating or set foot on other frozen rivers and broads during the current cold snap, which has seen Oulton Broad, Barton Broad, Ranworth Broad and Womack Water covered in ice.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 3 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 4 What next for The Birdcage in Norwich?
- 5 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 6 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 7 Norwich bar named among 30 best cocktail spots in UK
- 8 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Car collides with bus near petrol station on Dereham Road
Adrian Vernon, head navigation ranger, said: 'The Broads may look inviting when they are frozen and other people may already be on the ice but it is not possible to tell how thick it is.
'It can vary in different parts of the same area of water. Please don't become a victim and endanger the people that may have to rescue you.'