Western Link is logical next step for NDR
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
When it became clear the Norwich Northern Distributor Road (as it was called at the time) would not connect to the A47 to the west of the city, some gave it a new name - the Road to Nowhere.
Environmental constraints had scuppered a true northern bypass but officers at Norfolk County Council insisted that even a three-quarters road would bring benefits.
However there remained the belief within County Hall that, once the NDR (now called the Broadland Northway) was complete, the so-called missing link could be provided.
The county council had already made that Western Link one of its priorities and will next week start consulting the public over what they want to see happen.
Given communities such as Costessey, Taverham and Weston Longville had already highlighted that the incompleteness of the NDR meant their villages would be rat-runs for drivers looking to get to the A47, one suspects there will be no shortage of support for this link.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses, too, who backed the NDR to the hilt, will no doubt say this is the logical next step.
But there will also be opposition. The Wensum Valley Alliance and the Campaign to Protect Rural England have raised concerns about the environmental impact.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 3 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 4 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 5 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 6 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 7 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 8 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 9 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes
- 10 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
Most would probably agree that a link is needed, but the solution will have to be carefully formulated and people's views considered.