West Caister mum leads Hayley gathering in aid of Macmillan
- Credit: Steve Adams
At first glance it may have looked like a traditional bucket collection for charity.
But on closer inspection visitors to the Forum in Norwich saw that the group of women gathered in aid of cancer charity Macmillan all had something in common – their name.
The collection of Hayleys was organised by Norfolk mum Hayley McConnell as part of a string of charity challenges she is holding to mark her 50th birthday.
On Sunday she was joined by 11 of her namesakes from across the county who all donned green T-shirts proudly displaying their names.
Together they smiled for selfies and chatted to passers- by who dropped donations into their buckets, helping to raise more than £200.
You may also want to watch:
Ms McConnell, from West Caister, turns 50 in December and is hoping to raise £5,000 for Macmillan through her year of fundraising.
She said: 'It was really nice meeting the other Hayleys and it was really good fun.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 8 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
'For one of the Hayleys it was a cause close to her heart because her mum is suffering from cancer, so it kept in mind why I'm doing this.'
All the Hayleys hailed from Norfolk and ranged in age from 21 to 49.
Ms McConnell is now busy organising her next fundraiser, which will see families take part in a treasure hunt by car and on foot in and around Norwich.
Participants will collect clues on their journey with instructions to complete tasks, such as taking a selfie with one of the GoGo Dragons. The treasure hunt is being held on August 23.
This will be followed in September with a games night at Sprowston Sports and Social Club, featuring replicas of Play Your Cards Right, Deal or No Deal, The Generation Game and The Chase.
For more details about any of the fundraisers visit www.facebook.com/FaftyFabulousthings.
Are you raising money in an unusual way? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.