Weird and wonderful acts for Norwich celebrations
The carnival fever will not end with the Lord Mayor's procession next Saturday – all sorts of weird and wonderful models will be keeping the party going afterwards as part of the Street Mayhem! parade.
As part of the Saturday night entertainment at the Lord Mayor's Celebrations the parade, described as 'an extraordinary processional street show', will feature works from special guests Emergency Exit Arts and Tin House to create Fair and Fowl Play.
Other crazy entertainment acts include: The Human Dukesbox, Hip Hopping – Granny Turismo, The Wardens who love to say no, strange little creatures Hodman and Sally, Draggon Heart Beats and the Digital Paparazzi.
Councillor Brenda Arthur, leader of Norwich City Council and cabinet member for events, said: 'The cultural offering of the Lord Mayor's Celebrations is much wider this year. We've got some really exciting free street entertainment in the city centre, which is going to be fantastic for people of all ages.
'We're working with creative partners and performers to bring Norwich a fantastic programme that will appeal to all the family. The celebration weekend is set to be the best yet. With plenty going on in the streets and in city centre open spaces, it's the perfect opportunity to explore and enjoy Norwich.'
The unusual parade certainly looks set to carry the party on into the night. Clare Hubery, culture and events officer at Norwich City Council, said: 'There's loads going on all over the weekend and we've some really exciting new things on the streets to keep everyone entertained. From hip hop dancing Granny Turismo, to a giant turtle and phoenix, there's all sorts happening.
'The Fair and Fowl play procession in particular is absolutely amazing – I'd encourage everyone to get along and have a look at part of that parade.'
- 1 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 Sweet Briar Road 'still on track' to reopen by end of May
- 4 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 5 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 6 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
- 7 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
- 8 High-end boutique reopens in its former shop
- 9 Woman with incurable cancer left devastated after car and jewellery stolen
- 10 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
Street Mayhem! runs from 7pm to 10pm on Saturday, July 9, in the city centre as part of the Lord Mayor's Celebrations. All of the acts are free to watch.
The Evening News will be building up to this year's Lord Mayor's Celebrations with preview articles every day next week, before eight pages of preview in Saturday's special edition Lord Mayor's Evening News. This will then be followed by a 12-page picture special in the Evening News on Monday, July 11.
Are you organising a big event in Norwich? Call David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com