How long will the heatwave last in Norfolk and Waveney?
- Credit: Kate Wolstenholme
The temperature in a village on the Norfolk and Suffolk border had a range of more than 24C as the warmest March day in the UK since 1968 was recorded.
Dan Holley, forecaster from University of East Anglia based Weatherquest, said the temperature at Santon Downham, at Thetford Forest, had started at -1.7C on Tuesday morning.
But the thermometer peaked at 22.6C, meaning the diurnal range for the day was 24.3C.
Mr Holley said that temperatures in Weybourne reached 21C yesterday, making it the warmest day of the year so far.
The Met Office said the 24C temperatures recorded yesterday meant it was provisionally the warmest March day since March 29, 1968, when 25.6C was recorded at Mepal in Cambridgeshire.
Sun-kissed Sea Palling was packed with visitors on Tuesday as people soaked up the sun with the easing of coronavirus restrictions.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk is in for another sunny day today (Wednesday) with temperatures in the 20s, but it will get chillier tomorrow when temperatures might struggle to get into double figures.
Forecasters at Weatherquest said today will see a dry and warm day across the East Anglia region - and temperatures could get as high as 24C.
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 4 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 5 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 6 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers
- 7 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
- 8 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 9 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 10 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
They said some high cloud will move in from the west at times and turn the sunshine hazy.
They said there was a small chance of a few spots of light rain in west Norfolk at first.