We need the truth about Hellesdon Carnival’s demise
- Credit: Steve Adams
I have to refute the allegations of councillor Danny Buck about why the Hellesdon Carnival organisers couldn't agree with the parish council's imposition of red tape.
Every year we consulted a qualified health and safety professional (also employed by the parish council). We had a dedicated health and safety officer (the council's deputy clerk), all day, on the day. The two groundsmen who worked through the day are both health and safety aware.
We were also always aware of health and safety throughout our monthly meetings. We employed an event guard to organise coverage of our procession.
We paid a £500 fee for public liability (for one day)!
In 21 years we have never had an accident, or made a claim on our insurance policy.
MORE: Plans to bring back Hellesdon Carnival fail as parish explores options for community eventsWrong allegation, councillor Buck, What commercialisation? We didn't charge people to come in on the day. The beautiful thing about the carnival was the lack of commercialisation.
True, we had an ice cream vendor and a hamburger and hot dog stall (they incidentally paid the committee a handsome share of their takings).
Over the years we made a lot of contacts with different people, who always wanted to come back.
- 1 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 2 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 3 Can you spot yourself at the Simply Red gig at Earlham Park?
- 4 5 new shop openings in Norwich to look forward to
- 5 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 6 A11 reopens after air ambulance called to crash
- 7 Landlady 'hard at work' as city pub prepares for July reopening
- 8 Peter Crouch speaks on bid to track down his 'Norfolk husband'
- 9 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 10 Inconsiderate dog owners leave wheelchair-bound woman to clean up foul mess
We trusted them, they trusted us.
We would phone them up, ask if they were coming, and they all said yes.
We were informed by the council clerk we could not do that anymore. We had to write, get a written reply. Then we had to run it through the office (more red tape).
I am very angry with councillor Buck's allegations. Please be honest, and tell the truth about the demise of the carnival.
Tom Gasson, Reepham Road, Hellesdon.