We need the truth about Hellesdon Carnival’s demise
- Credit: Steve Adams
I have to refute the allegations of councillor Danny Buck about why the Hellesdon Carnival organisers couldn't agree with the parish council's imposition of red tape.
Every year we consulted a qualified health and safety professional (also employed by the parish council). We had a dedicated health and safety officer (the council's deputy clerk), all day, on the day. The two groundsmen who worked through the day are both health and safety aware.
We were also always aware of health and safety throughout our monthly meetings. We employed an event guard to organise coverage of our procession.
We paid a £500 fee for public liability (for one day)!
In 21 years we have never had an accident, or made a claim on our insurance policy.
MORE: Plans to bring back Hellesdon Carnival fail as parish explores options for community eventsWrong allegation, councillor Buck, What commercialisation? We didn't charge people to come in on the day. The beautiful thing about the carnival was the lack of commercialisation.
True, we had an ice cream vendor and a hamburger and hot dog stall (they incidentally paid the committee a handsome share of their takings).
Over the years we made a lot of contacts with different people, who always wanted to come back.
- 1 Walker furious as beauty spot 'ruined' by bush chopping
- 2 City schools to share one site as building returned to council
- 3 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 4 Five of Norwich's best takeaways according to our readers
- 5 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 6 New beer and burrito bar opens in city centre
- 7 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 8 Petition supporting Western Link gains hundreds of signatures
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
We trusted them, they trusted us.
We would phone them up, ask if they were coming, and they all said yes.
We were informed by the council clerk we could not do that anymore. We had to write, get a written reply. Then we had to run it through the office (more red tape).
I am very angry with councillor Buck's allegations. Please be honest, and tell the truth about the demise of the carnival.
Tom Gasson, Reepham Road, Hellesdon.