We’ll be celebrating with William and Kate in Costessey
People living in the Queen's Hills estate Costessey are being urged to forget their woes and show community spirit at a special royal wedding celebration.
Plans are under way to close Fieldfare Way on Friday April 29, the day of the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, from 2pm till 6pm and transform it into a street party with food, drink and fairground fun.
Housing developer, Barrett, has told event organisers that they will close off the road for the street party and provide signs informing people of alternative routes.
And the developers have also agreed to liaise with the consortium in charge of Queen's Hills to see if they can find money to part fund the event.
Parish councillor, Gary Blundell, 35, who lives at Queen's Hills, said: 'We decided to do the street party because we wanted to show the community spirit we have at Queen's Hills.
You may also want to watch:
'Over the years, the housing estate has been let down and we have not got the community centre, pub and shops that we were promised.
'But there is a chance for us now to let our hair down and really have some fun. We want to bring the community together and get people to meet their neighbours.'
- 1 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 2 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 3 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 4 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 5 Full list of Norwich Market stalls open or delivering during lockdown
- 6 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 7 Wine bar collapse costs council £70k after lease blunder
- 8 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
- 9 Norwich man admits supplying drugs to small group of friends
- 10 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
A competition to find the prince and princess of Queen's Hills will be held on the day with people of all ages encouraged to dress up and join in - including men in drag.
Activities will also include old fashioned fair ground rides, candy floss, and a mini five-a-side football competition at Queen's Hills Primary and Nursery School.
If you are interested in sponsoring the event, or are a band or act who would like to perform on the day, contact Gary Blundell on: 07988518388