Warning after potentially poisonous fish found in Norwich
Tins of potentially poisonous fish have been pulled from the shelves of two shops in Norwich by food safety experts.
Tins of Mas-River branded fried dace with salted black beans, have been recalled by the UK importer Oriental Merchant (Europe) Ltd, because they came from an unapproved source in Malaysia.
One batch of tins was found to contain high levels of histamine which can cause a form of fish poisoning, so all batches have been recalled.
Only two shops in Norfolk have been highlighted by the Food Standards Agency as being supplied by Oriental Merchant (Europe) Ltd with the affected product - both of which were in Norwich city centre.
They were China World in Dove Street, and Autumn Dragon Oriental Mart Ltd in St Andrews Street.
Symptoms of scombrotoxic fish poisoning are similar to those of an allergic reaction and include skin rash, low blood pressure, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Other symptoms include headaches, dizziness, palpitations, and abdominal cramps, which can happen within just 10 minutes of eating the affected fish.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 3 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 4 Busy city Riverside roads to stay closed as transport hub works begin
- 5 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 6 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 7 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 8 Farmers' market near Norwich set to reopen for the new year
- 9 See inside this three-storey home with city views on sale for £370k
- 10 In pictures: The history and changing face of St Stephens
The poisoning can be serious enough to need urgent medical attention, although they usually resolve themselves within 24 hours.
Jaan Stanton, the city council's food safety team manager, says: 'Our environmental health officers visited the premises in Norwich and remaining stocks have been removed from sale.
'If anyone has bought this product, do not eat it. Take it back to the retailer to get a refund and contact the city council's environmental health team straight away.
'Our information is that this fish product has not been distributed to other retailers in the region.
'But, people may have previously bought these tins of this fish so we're urging them to be aware of the potential health hazards and letting them know what to do if they have any at home'.
He added that cooking the fish would not make it safe.