Wanderers in hunt for top silverware
AFC Wanderers manager Jason Bush insists on taking one game at a time despite a flying start which sees his side still in with a shout of success in all three major Sunday competitions.
Having enjoyed Pink Un League Cup success, and Sunday Senior Cup success at Carrow Road in recent years, Bush would love to add the elusive Premier Division title to the collection but refuses to look any further ahead than the next game. Following a 9-0 win over Unicorns, featuring a Farin Deeba hat-trick on Sunday, his Eaton Park-based team are eight points behind leaders the Grove with two games in hand. But Bush believes the biggest threat of all in all competitions may come from reigning league champions Marlborough who are currently in second place. 'Personally I think Marlborough are the team to beat in all competitions so if you can finish above them in anything then you are doing pretty well,' he said. AFC have only lost one game this season – a 3-0 defeat at Marlborough, when Wanderers had three men sent off.
But, that setback aside, AFC have plenty of reasons to be cheerful as they focus on challenges ahead, starting with a game this weekend against Acle Rangers, who they will meet in the Sunday Senior Cup on January 8.
'I don't know much about them but we'll have a good chance to suss each other out this Sunday.'
He added: 'We have probably got the best squad we have had for a few years and for 90 per cent of the games I have not had to make changes.'
You may also want to watch:
Wanderers, who are skippered by Craig Vincent, have surged to prominence on a tide of goals from Luke Tuttle and Farin Deeba, who are both closing in on the 20-goal mark. Matt Elwin has also weighed in with his fair share while Daniel Barraclough has been in imperious form in central defence.
Marlborough booked their place in the Norfolk Sunday Senior Cup quarter-finals with a 4-0 win at Norfolk CCSC.
- 1 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 2 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 3 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
- 4 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 5 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 6 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 7 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
- 8 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 9 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 10 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
• Quarter-final draw: (January 8, 10.30) - Bayer v Camden; Hellesdon Athletic v El Sol; Marlborough v Windmill; AFC Wanderers v Acle Rangers.