Video: The Forum Norwich hosts charity busking with tiny guitars
Norwich Ukulele Society, above, braved the cold to go busking outside the Forum in Norwich to raise money for charities working with children.
Standing in the bitter cold on Saturday they performed cheeky twists on Christmas classics and their Charity single Raise a Glass to Santa, a satirical attack on commercial Christmas and politically correct Britain. The uke troop hope to raise lots of money as well as festive cheer with their charity single in aid of the Hamlet Centre in Norwich for children with disabilities and Children in Need.
Retired catering worker Juliette Hutchins, 61, from Raymond Close, Hellesdon, who was out Christmas shopping, said: 'My son-in-law was in stitches when he saw them.
'We bought their CD for my daughter for her birthday. We heard them on the radio this morning and thought we'd come and give them a look.
'I'm so impressed by them. I think they're great.' They have been supported on Twitter by MPs and celebrities including Neil Innes, who wrote Urban Spaceman, which the society cover. Gemma Cullingford, co-founder of the society, said: 'I thought my mouth was going to stop working it was so cold, but we sold a few and had fun. Those who walked past had a smile on their face.' They hope to get the Twitter celebs involved in the next charity single. There is also a youtube video to accompany the song.
You may also want to watch:
To buy the single with B-side for �3 go to http://norwichukes.bandcamp.com.
- 1 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 2 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 3 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
- 4 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 5 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 6 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 7 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
- 8 This is where you can park for free in Norwich
- 9 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 10 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat