Norwich market traders unhappy with ‘disgusting’ replacement portable toilets
- Credit: Archant
Market traders in Norwich have described temporary portable toilets as 'worse than unusable' and 'enough to make you gag'.
Up to three weeks of work have begun on the public toilets by the market, with electrical repairs, tiling, paint work, deep cleaning and ventilation replacements taking place.
During this period, Norwich City Council have provided market traders with two replacement portable toilets.
However, traders said the toilets were 'disgusting'.
Kingston Gray, owner of Lucy's Chips, said: 'They weren't locked initially so homeless people got in and were injecting themselves in there. I don't blame them for using them but they were in disgusting condition. There was faeces and urine everywhere and loo roll all over the place.
You may also want to watch:
'There's no hot water in there and just opening and closing the doors you'll get dirt on you.
'They will close the bike park for fireworks or anything like that but not so we can have proper toilet facilities.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 5 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 8 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 9 Norwich man wanted by police
- 10 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
'Normally we have four toilets just for traders and the public toilets so now there just aren't enough. I think it will definitely affect business.'
Alethea Stearman, who works on The Mushy Pea Stall, said the standard of the toilets was hypocritical.
She said: 'The council make you jump through hoops to get your food hygiene rating, yet they provide toilets that are enough to make you gag. I've been going to the toilets in The Forum because these ones are worse than unusable.
'Going there and queuing means the stall is going to be left unattended for a long time and customers aren't going to wait that long.
'They're saying they've opened toilets in St Giles and it's all well and good doing all this Love Your Market stuff, but if customers can't use toilets here they're not going to come out in the rain and they'll stay in the malls.'
A spokesperson for Norwich City Council said: 'We are making improvements to toilets on Norwich Market that will enhance the environment for everyone that uses them.
'Two temporary portable toilets were provided on Monday morning for traders to use while the work takes place, and we have opened the fully accessible toilets on level A of St Giles car park for the general public to use during this time.'