Union says Britvic’s decision to leave Norwich was not made recently
- Credit: Archant
Union members have hit out at Britvic's decision to close its Norwich factory.
Ivan Mercer, GMB regional organiser, said they were bitterly disappointed at the news, but felt it was not unexpected.
'We believe this decision has been in the pipeline for at least two years and wasn't just made recently,' he said.
'The company has not consulted meaningfully or transparently in the process and at no stage has it looked to avoid having to take this decision.'
He said the union had made various proposals to save Britvic money but the company had never indicated it was looking at anything other than closure.
'We are disheartened by the manner in which Britvic has gone about this - it has been a sham consultation.'
He said the union had 150 members working at the company and 250 across both sites, including Unilever.
- 1 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 Murder inquiry launched after teenager stabbed to death in Norwich
- 6 Fine dining restaurant unveils new kitchen worth £70k
- 7 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 8 City folk overjoyed by £1.5m food hall plan in empty restaurant
- 9 Concerns over three new homes plan after six others approved in village
- 10 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
'Unilever has behaved in a completely different manner and I do believe the company is committed to remaining in Norwich but this announcement sounds the death knell for them,' said Mr Mercer.
'If they do stay it will not be at the current site.'
A number of Britvic employees approached for comment while leaving the plant on Friday said they were not allowed to speak to the media.
One employee, who declined to be named, described the mood as 'ugly' following the announcement.
'Everyone is really p***** off. The mood is really bad in there.
'You don't want to know the kind of language that's being used. It's ugly'