Uncovering the history of Norwich market
Sam EmanuelPeople with old photographs of Norwich market are being invited to become part of a new heritage project which is set to boost the city's bid for the title of UK City of Culture.Sam Emanuel
People with old photographs of Norwich market are being invited to become part of a new heritage project which is set to boost the city's bid for the title of UK City of Culture.
Norwich Heritage Projects, a group set up by six friends who are enthusiastic about the city's past, is telling the history of Norwich market from centuries ago until the present day through a website, a book and a film.
But the group needs the help of people who have pictures of the market, including photos of stallholders - particularly those taken between 1940 and 2000 - as well as stories.
The aim is to turn the research, much of which is collated from various existing sources, into an easily accessible book, film and website in time for the Heritage Open Days in September, which are organised by Norwich HEART.
You may also want to watch:
The website is already up and running and gives a taster of what people living in the city can expect, showing the history of the market from its Norman beginnings, a map and pictures of the many pubs and alehouses surrounding the market, photographs of City Hall being built and the 2005 revamp by LSI Architects.
Frances Holmes, one of the group members, said: "We all think Norwich is a lovely city, but sometimes it can be underrated, and we want to make the city and its history more accessible and help them learn a bit more about it and make it fun."
- 1 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 2 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 3 Daughters hold dad's hand one last time in emotional hospital goodbye
- 4 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 5 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 Coronavirus recovery centre never used in first wave to be opened
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Bakery pushes back Norwich reopening date after daily taking dropped to £26
- 9 Motorcyclist taken to hospital with leg injuries after NDR crash
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
� To visit the website, go to www.norwich-market.org.uk.
� If you have any stories or photographs you can contribute to the project, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 455798.