UEA to boost physics teacher numbers
Steve DownesThe University of East Anglia is hoping to boost the number of physics teachers coming into the profession with a new recruitment initiative.Steve Downes
The University of East Anglia is hoping to boost the number of physics teachers coming into the profession with a new recruitment initiative.
Working in partnership with the Institute of Physics (IOP), the university has been selected to take part in the Marketing Initiative for Teacher Recruitment (MITRE) project, which aims to help teacher training providers increase the numbers they admit to their PGCE courses.
New marketing initiatives are being developed in a bid to increase recruitment of physics teachers for the 2010/11 academic year and beyond.
Despite national media campaigns, incentive schemes and initiatives by the Training Development Agency for Schools (TDA), there is still a significant shortfall in recruitment of physics teachers. This is set to get worse as increasing numbers of teachers are approaching retirement.
You may also want to watch:
Prof Nigel Norris, head of UEA's school of education and lifelong learning, said: 'We are one of the leading teacher training institutions in the UK and strongly support the need to increase the number of physics teachers coming into the profession.
'We are enthusiastic about science education and teaching physics provides both a sense of achievement and the chance to open up new horizons to young minds.'
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 6 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
- 7 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 8 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 9 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 10 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
For more information about training to become a teacher at UEA visit www.uea.ac.uk/edu or call 01603 592855.