Two Norwich pubs in Camra’s new guide
Two Norwich pubs have made it into Camra's Great British Pubs guide.
The Fat Cat in West End Street and the King's Head in Magdalen Street are the only pubs from Norfolk in the guide, however there are seven entries from Suffolk, including Southwold's Lord Nelson and Lowestoft's Triangle Tavern.
The guide, dubbed the ultimate celebration of the nation's favourite pastime, lists nearly 300 of the country's best pubs in 23 different categories.
Colin Keatley, who owns the Fat Cat, said: 'We have been around a long time and have won quite a few awards, and I have been told by people that we are rated in the top 50 pubs in the country.
'But it's hard work maintaining your standards and keeping that consistency. But it's great to be in the guide, and it reflects all the hard work we have put in over the years.'
The guide says that the King's Head is 'the English pub as a home from home'.
It continues: 'Norwich positively oozes great pubs; places like the King's Head. On my visit there were 11 cask beers on display, all of them chalked up on a blackboard, and all of them coming from East Anglia.'
- 1 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Huge food festival with Liberty X and S Club All Stars heading to Norwich
- 7 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 8 Fine dining restaurant unveils new kitchen worth £70k
- 9 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
- 10 Latest designs for Anglia Square revamp to be revealed
The guide is compiled by internationally-acclaimed beer writer Adrian Tierney-Jones, who said: 'All these pubs have something to offer beyond the promise of good beer, great food and plenty of cheer.
'They also offer a chance to step into another world for a while.'
The Evening News has been urging people to return to pubs in our Love your Local campaign.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
Has your pub recently won an award? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.