Water supply restored to homes after 10ft sinkhole opens up
- Credit: Danielle Booden
People living in a city street have had their water supply restored after 10ft sinkhole opened up.
The sinkhole appeared in Whistlefish Court, off Dereham Road, at 11am on Monday (March 28).
In the early hours only small cracks appeared but by 3pm a sizeable chunk had collapsed and fallen in on itself.
Following the collapse of the road, people reported experiencing low water pressure or no water at all in Whistlefish Court and the surrounding areas.
But an Anglian Water spokesman confirmed on Tuesday (March 29) that the water supply issues had been fixed.
He said: “Following a sinkhole in Whistlefish Court in Norwich our water main was damaged along with a number of other utility assets, which led to a number of customers being without water.
"All customers water supplies have since been restored and we are waiting for highways to repair the sinkhole before we can repair our main.”
Andy Ellis, highways area manager, Norfolk County Council, said: “The area has been made safe while urgent investigations into the cause of the issue are underway.
- 1 Norwich Lanes Summer Fayre returns with stalls, live music and 'great food'
- 2 Where to watch thousands of dominoes topple through Norwich
- 3 Man given flat just THREE DAYS before he'd have to live out of car
- 4 Will Sweet Briar Road repairs be completed by the end of the month?
- 5 ANOTHER shop in major city street will soon be empty
- 6 Man in his 60s charged in connection with city murder
- 7 Investigation launched after disabled woman stranded at bus stop
- 8 Families fed up with 'ludicrous' lights causing chaos on their road
- 9 'Rarely available' Victorian home in Golden Triangle on sale for £475k
- 10 Revealed: Where Japanese knotweed has been spotted in Norfolk
"Once the reason for the collapse has been established repairs can then be carried out to enable the road and path to reopen as soon as possible. In the meantime we’re putting in place temporary vehicle access for residents.”