Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
One person was taken to hospital after a crash involving four cars.
Officers were called to the junction where Dereham Road meets Longwater Lane in Costessey at 8.10am on Friday.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said a blue BMW, a white van, a white Audi and a Ford Fiesta were involved.
One person involved was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital to be treated for back injuries.
Both lanes were closed for a period as the Audi and the Ford had to be recovered.
Police left the scene shortly before 10am.
An eye-witness said it affected city-bound lanes, and that traffic was queueing back to the Longwater junction with the A47.
Drivers were advised to avoid the area and find an alternative route into the city, though the usual diversion route for those coming from the west – the A47 Norwich Southern Bypass – was also busy due to roadworks.
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Norfolk traffic map.
Join our Norfolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Norfolk.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 5 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 6 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week