Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
One person was taken to hospital after a crash involving four cars.
Officers were called to the junction where Dereham Road meets Longwater Lane in Costessey at 8.10am on Friday.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Police said a blue BMW, a white van, a white Audi and a Ford Fiesta were involved.
One person involved was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital to be treated for back injuries.
Both lanes were closed for a period as the Audi and the Ford had to be recovered.
Police left the scene shortly before 10am.
An eye-witness said it affected city-bound lanes, and that traffic was queueing back to the Longwater junction with the A47.
Drivers were advised to avoid the area and find an alternative route into the city, though the usual diversion route for those coming from the west – the A47 Norwich Southern Bypass – was also busy due to roadworks.
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Norfolk traffic map.
Join our Norfolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Norfolk.
- 1 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 2 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 3 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 4 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 5 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 6 Man and woman found dead in home
- 7 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 8 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Car catches fire after early morning crash