Norfolk airman’s family visit Evening News’ offices before heading to Holland
A Norfolk airman's family visited the Evening News' offices to inspect a roll of honour before travelling to the Netherlands to attend a memorial event in his honour.
Reginald James died on October 7, 1944, during the Second World War when his plane was shot down near Walcheren in the Netherlands. His name is inscribed on the roll of honour at our offices in Rouen Road, as he worked for the Norfolk News Co Ltd - the precursor of the EDP and Evening News - in London Street as a reader's assistant when he left school.
A memorial stone to Mr James, who was born in Constitution Hill, Norwich, will be unveiled on the site where his plane crashed, between Zoutelande and Westkapelle, this Friday, and 15 members of his family will attend the event.
Meanwhile, Mr James' great-nephew, Stuart Cutting, 33, from Wymondham, is following in his footsteps. He said: 'He attended Eaton School as I did, although it was known under a different name then, and he worked at the newspaper office before the war as 'a reader' and his name can be found on the roll of honour inside the entrance at Prospect House.
'And I am now working for Archant as a graphic designer with the creative team.'
You may also want to watch:
The remains of Mr James' aircraft, an Airspeed Oxford, were found three years ago by two Dutchmen in a field by the coast. They set about researching the aircraft and the pilot's mission, and eventually, in 2010, traced members of his family to England.
Is your relative being honoured by a foreign country? Call Evening News reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 2 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 7 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 8 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 9 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 10 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub